This is the perfect salad for spring. It’s so perfect, in fact, that I wish I’d come up with the idea on my own. I found this recipe while browsing through my April Cooking Light magazine and instantly knew that I had to make it. I’ve made this salad a few times now, and it’s a keeper. Kris loves when I make specific salads instead of throwing on a little bit of every vegetable in the fridge. This charred asparagus, arugula, and egg salad will also looks beautiful when plated. People will think you slaved for hours.
The best part about this salad is the soft boiled eggs. Soft boiled eggs are delicious. The eggs are boiled for eight minutes but if you want softer yolks you could boil them for six or seven minutes. Likewise, if you want your eggs fully cooked, boil them for ten minutes.
Charred asparagus adds another layer of taste complexity to the salad. A quick char intensifies the flavor of the asparagus. You could serve this salad with the asparagus still warm. If you added some cheese and let it slightly melt..yum, that’d make this salad even better.
I followed the Cooking Light recipe exactly, except for the pecans. The pecans were not in the original recipe. I like to have some crunch in my salads. I think sunflower seeds would be good as well. And you have to make your own dressing. It only takes a minute, and it’s simple. Simple and delicious.
You could make this charred asparagus, arugula, and egg salad for dinner or lunch. Make it as a side salad or an entree. Dress it up or keep it simple. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- ⅓ cup pecan, whole/pieces
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp water
- 5 oz package of baby arugula
- Preheat broiler to high
- Bring a small sauce pan filled with water to boil. Carefully add eggs. Cook 8 minutes, then Immediately remove from boiling water and place in an ice bath for 2 minutes. Peel eggs, cut into quarters and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper.
- Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper. Broil for 5-8 minutes, until lightly charred. Remove from pan and cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Combine remaining ¼ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice, and water in a medium bowl.
- Divide arugula between plates, top with asparagus, soft boiled eggs, and pecans. Drizzle with dressing.