Nothing better than a quick, healthy, easy meal. It’s entirely too hot outside to even think about turning on the oven or having to stand in front of the stove. So I talked Kris into barbecuing for me! Best husband ever! Not that I can’t barbecue…. I am perfectly capable of barbecuing. I just prefer Kris to do it for me (…and I don’t really know how to start our new barbecue, well, not brand new, just new to us). So because it’s so hot, this entire meal can be prepared in less than 20 minutes. Barbecued Broccolini, Asparagus, and Sausage is perfect for all those hot summer nights.
I love cooking vegetables on the barbecue. It’s definitely one of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables. Actually I still make Kris cook everything on the barbecue for me. That way he gets to drink a beer while he barbecues. Kris says it’s impossible to barbecue without drinking a beer. I suppose a beer is a fair trade off for how hot it has been outside. Boise has been around 100 degrees this whole week, and it doesn’t look like it’s cooling off any time soon. Good thing it only takes about 20 minutes to make this Barbecued Broccolini, Asparagus, and Sausage dinner!
This dinner is super easy to make and incredibly delicious. The broccolini is from my garden, just to brag a little! To make this dinner, simply keep your broccolini and asparagus in large pieces. You don’t want them to fall through the grate on the barbecue. Actually, you can use any vegetables you like for this meal. Zucchini, bell peppers, and onions are some of my favorite veggies to barbecue. I also used precooked chicken sausage. This particular sausage is Aidells Italian Style with Mozzarella Cheese. You can use any type of sausage you want – either precooked or fresh works.
Basically, this meal is very flexible to your own personal tastes. Just barbecue your favorite vegetables with some sausages and then top with cheese. A healthy dinner in less than 20 minutes! Perfection!
- 1-2 bunches of broccolini (about 10-15 small stems total)
- ½ bunch of asparagus (about 10-15)
- 4 sausages (any type, fresh or precooked - I used Chicken Italian)
- Olive oil (I used 2-3 tbsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Pepper (1/4 tsp)
- Garlic Powder (1 tsp)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Any other desired seasonings
- Grated parmesan (1/4 cup)
- Preheat barbecue to high, reduce to medium when you start the vegetables and sausages.
- Cut broccolini and asparagus into large pieces if necessary. Leave the pieces big enough so that they won't fall through the grill.
- Drizzle broccolini and asparagus with olive oil and then top with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes.
- Place broccolini, asparagus, and sausage on barbecue over direct heat.
- Broccolini cook the fastest, remove from direct heat after 7-10 minutes, as soon as they start to get a little crispy.
- The asparagus takes about 10-15 minutes to cook, depending on size.
- If using precooked sausage, cook for 12-15 minutes, turning every few minutes, until heated through. For fresh sausage, cook according to package directions or until thoroughly cooked.
- When broccolini, asparagus, and sausages are cooked, remove from heat.
- Next, slice sausages diagonally.
- Finally, dish up broccolini, asparagus, and sausages. Top with parmesan.