Cauliflower makes the perfect low-carb substitute for rice and potatoes. Kris and I like to make cauliflower stir-fry and cauliflower mashed potatoes on a regular basis. It’s a great way to keep carbs low and when you incorporate the cauliflower rice into a dish, like stir-fry, you can hardly tell that your not eating rice. This cauliflower stir-fry with ground pork is one of our favorite ways to use cauliflower rice.
Another bonus of making cauliflower stir-fry is that it’s a great to pack in a ton of vegetables. I mean you can literally get in all your vegetables for the day in one meal. Those are the best kind of meals. And it’s a great way to get in a wide variety of vegetables. Lots of vegetables work for stir-fries. We like to use onions, red bell peppers, cabbage, garlic, carrots, broccoli, jalapeños, and mushrooms.
Kris is the mastermind behind this recipe. He does the best job making stir-fry. And I think he actually started making cauliflower rice before I did! I do recommend a food processor for making the rice. It’s one of the few things I use the food processor for. I permanently borrowed my mom’s giant KitchenAid food processor and it’s awesome! We have a small one that came with the blender, but it’s not as powerful as my mom’s.
- 1 pound of ground pork
- Medium to large head of cauliflower, washed, florets removed, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- ½ head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips, less than ¼ inch thick
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds, about the thickness of a coin
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Broccoli, one small head, cut into about 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Hosin sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp Siracha
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Chives to garnish
- Prepare vegetables by washing and chopping, slicing, or mincing.
- In a large sauce pan, bring 1-inch of water to boil and then add chopped cauliflower. Bring back to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until par-boiled. Prepare an ice bath in a large boil. Strain water and place cauliflower in an ice bath. Let cauliflower sit in ice bath for 5 minutes and then strain. Set cauliflower aside.
- Meanwhile, cook ground pork in a skillet over medium heat. Add about ⅓ of the minced garlic to the pork while it's cooking. Add salt and pepper. Once ground pork has browned, about 8 minutes, remove from heat. Set pork aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet or wok. Add ⅓ of the mince garlic and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the red bell pepper. Cook bell pepper for 2 minutes and then add mushrooms. Finally add the onion, broccoli, and cabbage and cook for another 6 minutes. Set vegetables aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking, rice the cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse to make cauliflower a bread-crumb like consistency. You may need to do this in batches. See picture.
- Using cheese cloth or a fine strainer squeeze excess water from riced cauliflower. Make sure not to squeeze too hard, turning the rice into mash
- To bring the dish together, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower rice when hot. Mix is hosin, soy sauce, garlic chili sauce, fish sauce, and siracha. Cook cauliflower rice about 10 minutes, until lightly brown and slightly crispy.
- Then mix back in the vegetables and ground pork with the cauliflower rice. Cook for a 2-3 minutes until hot.
- To serve, top with chives.