This isn’t a Thanksgiving recipe. Chicken Sausage Cabbage Cheddar Skillet meal is a quick, healthy meal to eat prior to Thanksgiving. Because while you’re running around like a crazy person trying to get ready for Thanksgiving in two days, you still need to make dinner tonight and tomorrow. And who has time to focus on pre-Thanksgiving meals? Solution – make this for dinner! You could even double the recipe and have leftovers for tomorrow, which will leave you with plenty of time to focus on your holiday meal prep.
I am a procrastinator. Going grocery shopping today to get ingredients for the dishes I’m taking to Thanksgiving dinner. We’re going to Kris’s parent’s house on Thursday and my parent’s place on Friday. I’m working both Wednesday and Friday, so hoping to get a few things done today and everything else will have to be done on Thanksgiving morning.
If I was a better a planner, I would have made my Thanksgiving dishes last week and taken pictures so I could share. But life got busy, and it obviously didn’t happen. Hoping to share some post-Thanksgiving recipes though, which will also qualify as potential Christmas dinner recipes.
I’m making a salad to take to both my parent’s and Kris’s parent’s. Then we’re also taking a vegetable side dish to Kris’s parents and rolls to my parents. Depending on how my day goes, I might be able to get my act together and post the roll recipe tomorrow. For the vegetables side dish, I think I might make something similar to my delicata sheet pan meal, just leave out the sausage.
Now back to the meal at hand. This chicken sausage cabbage cheddar skillet meal is amazing. I love cabbage sautéed in butter. Combine it with onions and garlic, one of the best veggie combos. And the sauce with the cheese…. mmmm, so good. For the sauce just mix sour cream and whole grain mustard right in with the veggies and sausage. Then top with cheddar and broil just long enough for the cheese to get crispy. And this meal only takes about 30 minutes to throw together. You could even use precooked sausage in place of fresh to shorten the cooking time. So make this healthy, easy meal for dinner this week so you can focus on all your Thanksgiving meal preparations.
- ¼ of a large head of cabbage, sliced thin into strips
- 1 medium onions, sliced into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of chicken sausage links (fresh or precooked, I used a garlic herb flavor)
- 1 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup of sour cream
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- ⅔ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- If using fresh sausage links, cook in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally to brown all sides. Cook time for fresh sausage is usually 15-20 minutes. If using precooked sausage links, I still like to brown them in the skillet. Brown precooked sausage links in a skillet over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, turning occasionally to evenly brown sides.
- Once sausage links are cooked or browned, remove links from skillet and set aside. When links have cooled, slice into rounds.
- Return skillet to burner, add 1 tbsp butter and heat skillet over medium heat.
- When butter melts, add cabbage and onion to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 5-8 minutes, until cabbage starts to get soft and onion is translucent. Then add garlic and let cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or turn your oven to bake at as high of a temperature as it will go.
- Next, add sour cream and mustard to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Then add the sliced sausage links back to the skillet and mix in with the cabbage and onion.
- Top the skillet with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven on the top rack to broil for about 5 minutes. You can leave the oven door cracked, but it might take a few more minutes to brown. Watch carefully so that it does not get burned.