Another delicata post… I know, I know. But I couldn’t resist. The grocery store has a beautiful display of winter squash front and center, and I can’t walk past it without stopping and picking up a few varieties of winer squash. I tried to go with something new but not having to peel delicata is far too appealing. Just slice the delicata and bake it; perfect for a sheet pan meal. Sheet pan meals are the best weeknight meals because they require little work – throw everything on a baking sheet, season, put it in the oven, set the timer for 30 minutes, and relax while dinner cooks. This sausage delicata sheet pan meal is fall dinner perfection.
Sheet pan meals are underrated and under utilized. What’s not to love about one pan meals? Preparing meals this way means less dishes and more free time for you. Seems like the best part about sheet pan meals is that you don’t have to stand over the skillet and stir the food every two minutes. Just put everything in the oven on one pan and leave it. So easy.
And I’m all about easy dinners during the week. Sheet pan meals have endless possibilities. You can pretty much use any type of meat – chicken, pork chops, steaks, shrimp, sausage, bacon. Then pick your veggies – onions, peppers, potatoes, garlic, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, winter squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes…any vegetable will work. Also, sheet pan meals are a great way to use random veggies hanging out in the fridge. Finally season the meat and veggies however you like. I usually go for salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Get creative and use any of your favorite seasonings.
This particular creation has delicata squash, onions, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, garlic, and chicken sausage. While I recommend using precooked sausage, fresh sausage will work, just takes a little more time. Unfortunately for me, I only had fresh sausage and had to brown it prior to making the sheet pan meal. But the sausage was browned by the time I finished chopping the vegetables so it didn’t add extra time to the meal prep. Also, I’m obsessed with Al Fresco chicken sausage. Note, that this is not a sponsored post, I just really want to share this brand.
The flavor combo of delicata squash, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, onions, garlic, and chicken sausage is perfect for a weeknight fall meal.
- 1 medium delicata squash, sliced into ¼ inch rounds, seeds removed
- 10-14 asparagus spears, ends removed
- 2 cups of brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
- 5-10 garlic cloves, depending on how much you love garlic
- Olive oil
- 4-5 chicken sausages -sliced, brown ahead of time if using fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Arrange delicata squash, asparagus, brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, and sausage on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper; red pepper flakes if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes.