When we were traveling in New Zealand a few months ago, we stopped for lunch at a little cafe in Taihape called Brown Sugar Cafe. It was on our drive from Wellington to Rotorua on the North Island. Our family friends recommended it as a good halfway stop for lunch, and they were so very right! The cafe had an excellent menu and a beautiful outdoor garden seating area. I ordered their sun-dried tomato chicken brie focaccia, and it was incredible! So when I received sun-dried tomato turkey from Jennie-O, I figured it was fate to recreate the meal I had at Brown Sugar Cafe. And because Kris is determined to bake better sourdough bread than me, we’ve had an excessive amount of sourdough in the house. So here’s my version of Sun-dried Tomato Turkey Brie Sourdough Toasts.
I didn’t recreate this exactly as the Brown Sugar Cafe did, but pretty close. And I added pesto because I have leftover pesto from making Pesto Zoodles with Pan-Seared Salmon. This recipe is easy to make and you could easily substitute in chicken for the turkey. I do recommend brie cheese but another melty cheese like Monterey Jack or Mozzarella would work as well. You also don’t have to use sourdough bread. Really any artisan, crusty type bread or a focaccia would work.
To assemble the toasts, first lightly toast the sourdough bread. I proceeded to butter the bread after toasting but this isn’t necessary. After toasting the bread, layer turkey and brie cheese on the toast. Next, top with sun-dried tomatoes. Sadly, I finally ran out of my homemade sun-dried tomatoes and had to purchase some at the store. They just don’t taste the same.
Once the toast is loaded with the turkey, brie, and sun-dried tomatoes, bake it at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes, until the brie melts. Then remove from the oven and dollop with pesto! I recommend eating this for breakfast with eggs or for lunch with a salad. Enjoy!
- Two slices of sourdough bread (or other type of artisan bread or focaccia), toasted
- 1 tbsp butter (optional but highly recommended)
- 3 ounces of sun-dried tomato turkey deli meat, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces of brie cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces or smaller
- ¼ cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with eggs if eating for breakfast, a salad if eating for lunch.
- Lightly toast and butter bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange half of the turkey and half of the brie on each piece of bread, layering the turkey and brie.
- Next top the turkey and brie with sun-dried tomatoes.
- Then place the bread on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-8 minutes, until the brie is melted.
- Once the brie starts to melt, remove from the oven and top with pesto, 1 tbsp per toast.
- Finally add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with eggs or salad.