Confession, I totally neglected the blog last week. The weather was so nice and the sun was calling my name. All I wanted to do was be outside, even if it meant just doing yard work. As I was playing outside instead of being responsible, a package arrived from Jennie-O, and I knew it was time to get back on track. I mean, it’s hard not to find inspiration from their deli meats. And I figured I better do a blog post before we ate all the lunch meat, especially since there’s an abundance of sourdough bread in the house! So that is where this Ultimate Cobb Salad comes into play!
I have to admit that I was pretty excited to try the deli meats from Jennie-O, especially the sun-dried tomato and oven roasted turkey breast. I know I’m posting another salad…can’t help it! Salads are just such a great way to get your veggies in! But stay tuned, I’m planing on doing a few posts with the deli meat and no more salads. Promise. This Ultimate Cobb Salad really is incredible, by the way.
So yard work… I have a love/hate relationship with yard work. Last week I spent most of my outside time doing yard work. And then I sunburned my upper back and about a two inch strip on my lower back because my shirt always comes up when I’m crawling around on the ground pulling weeds. Anyone else have this problem? I always end up with the worst tan lines! My yard work is clean up work, by the way. Not maintenance yard work. The weeds took over when we were in New Zealand, and then it’s been raining a lot for Idaho, which means the weeds just kept growing. I finally sprayed RoundUp, which I hate doing, but I couldn’t take the weeds anymore. It’s overwhelming. I just want to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money to landscape our backyard. Maybe zero-scape the front yard….
Also, we did sneak away for an afternoon of rafting down the main Payette last week. First raft trip of the season! Woohoo! So my life is not all yard work. Still got to have some rafting fun, and then came home to this Ultimate Cobb Salad for the perfect dinner!
- 3 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups of spinach/spring mix
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 ounces of blue cheese
- 1-2 ounces of Colby Jack Cheese
- 4 ounces of Jennie-O Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, sliced thin
- 4 ounce of ham, sliced thin
- 1 ounce of salami
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- ½ - 1 whole avocado, sliced thin
- Ranch or blue cheese salad dressing.
- In a large bowl, mix spinach/spring mix with romaine lettuce.
- Arrange the blue cheese, Colby Jack cheese, turkey breast, ham, egg, salami, tomatoes, and avocado in rows on top of the lettuces.
- Toss salad with dressing prior to serving.
- Makes 2 dinner/lunch salads or four starter salads.